The last week of a city is always a little stressful: what first seems like a long month in a new city quickly comes to a frazzled mess of "WHAT HAVEN'T I DONE ARE YET LET'S DO EVERYTHING IN 5 DAYS WAIT ARE YOU GOING TO THAT PLACE I HAVEN'T GONE TO YET? CAN I COME LET'S ALL GO LET'S PLAN A TRIP THE DAY BEFORE WE LEAVE". This week I:
- Attempted to get a "fish pedicure". Tiny little fish gnaw at your weird gross feet and this is supposed to be something that people pay for. It only happened because I was trying to get an eyebrow wax, and the guy said it would be 30 minutes, but that I should "try this while I wait". A fan of apparently doing super weird shit, I did. And the water was cold (because fish LIVE IN THIS WATER) and it tickled way too much and I made him let me stop without paying. Just thinking about it makes me shudder. Wiggidy woogedy woo.
- I started a new job and got my first client, who is amazing. Matchmaking is hard. But it's fun to meet people and try to play love doctor for them, even when I can't play it for myself.
- Passed this ad on the way to the workspace and I've never been more confused/amused. Remember when I thought I was going to do a series on ads around the world? So far, this is the extent of it. Advertising hardly exists here, but when it does, it's really odd.
Went on a bike tour (finally) and became Snow White; a bird ate out of my hand and I sang while riding so that counts, right?
- Rode a trolley to a warehouse and had our farewell party that Aaron DJ'd. It was, as the kids, say, lit.
- Played and won a game of Twister at this party after I had two strong whiskey drinks. At one point, this bartender just said "tell me when" as she poured the handle of off-brand Jack Daniels into a plastic cup. She wasn't playing around.
- Decided to go on a trip to a winery (duh) and the Rila Monastery (because it was on the way...) with a group of people who know how to plan things better than me. We took a van and got to see the gorgeous paintings, had lunch, then hightailed it to a winery where we were more interested in actually drinking the wine than seeing how it was made. But we took some fun pictures.
The day cleared up and ended up being perfect for some wines!
- Spent a good amount of time at beer bars, aka my heaven on earth. You guys can really tell I've cut back on my drinking, right? This particular one, Vitamin B, was a block away from my house and I actually made friends with the girl bartender there. Also checked out another beer bar, KANAAL, but I ended up liking the other one better. Check out this naughty beer I drank:
- Got on a plane to CROATIA! More to come on that.
Short post, but it did the job and I'm currently sitting on the airport trying to bang out five blog posts because I don't want anything escaping my memory and also maybe my grandkids will thank me or something. Until next time...
Professional writer, designer, and do-it-aller. Remote Year citizen/alum. Currently living in San Francisco and probably trying to avoid the terrifying amounts of pigeons.